Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry 4 Miles

I'm on the 3rd run of my 2nd week of training. I have a partial post catching you up to this point, but I'll finish it up later...

Washington is cold in the winter. Most adults know this even if they don't live here. I drag my feet to do outdoor runs in the freezing cold, but I always enjoy it when I get out there. This was a week of highs and lows in running and life for me. I had a crappy 5 mile long run Monday (low). Tuesday I got straight As in my first MBA semester and two good runs (high). Thursday my boss told me she didn't think I would/could want to be CFO if she's hired for the CEO position (low). I fight self-confidence issues just like many others, so it's painful when other people don't believe in me too. It's like it validates that nagging voice I hate. Many Twitter friends were helpful through this though. Thank you all!

I got my butt ready to go this morning, it was an easy 4 miles at 12:09 pace on the schedule. I figured if al went to hell I could at least walk/jog and still make that pace, but I was intent on running it all if at all possible, freezing or not!

Before I knew it I was at 1.33 miles then 2, then 2.65. You get the point. I was just doing my thing, listening to music, ready to pepper spray any dog or jerk who dare break my serenity. Beginning the 3rd mile I'm seeing the snow fall in bigger and bigger flakes and it's surreal; something from a Christmas movie. I'm listening to Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" and one line says, "I'm a beast when you turn me on," and "harder, better, faster, stronger." Which I obviously turn to my own context and remember, I'm a BAMF and no one is going to tell me what job I can do, how far I can run, how fast I can go, or anything else. I got where I am proving other people's stereotypes wrong. This pushed me mentally and woke me up. On my 4th mile I start to not only run faster, but having fun doing it. I forgot I was freezing and started running with my tongue sticking out, catching snow flakes!

The whole run was an amazing self-affirming 45 minutes with just my thoughts. A thing of beauty. My splits were 11:43, 11:39, 11:35, and 11:15 with gas left in the tank for more. Did I mention I'm no good at 12:09 pace?

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! I'm planning on 7 miles tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Lori! Never let anyone tell you that you can't do anything!! Keep on doing your thing and going for what you want!

    Your splits are good! Don't plan on speed in the winter, but when the weather gets warmer, you'll get your speed! Keep up the great runs and blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Lori. I hope your 7 miles tomorrow are just as great!

    ReplyDelete