Monday, December 26, 2011

Slushy Long Run

Most everyone heard me hmm and haw about doing my long run today. I had one failed attempt where there was just too much ice everywhere. I'm glad I finally went out when it got a bit warmer later in the day. I was having plantar fasciitis problems since my 4 mile run Christmas Eve, after a few miles that was hurting pretty badly, my ITB starts screaming, then that hip jumps in. It was almost like a little Gremlin was running up my leg stabbing me at the joints! I was glad I could mentally compartmentalize the pain and just keep my feet moving. That was definitely a breakthrough. Since coming in to the warm house I'm feeling much better! My splits were kind of all over the place, but that's okay with me at this point, I was still slightly faster than pace every mile.

I have a dilemma, maybe you guys can help... My husband is going to start training with me next week for the half marathon he & I decided to do before I got these grand plans to run a marathon the month before that. He's not a runner. He ran with me a bit last winter, but when I had surgery and couldn't run for couple months he quit. He's amazing on a mountain bike (I want to cry & quit, but he keeps me going), so I hope I can inspire him the same way. Nothing challenges me more than his 15+ mile dirt road, all hills biking workouts. :D

The problem is, I'm running longer on the weekends and I often run at the gym while he is still working for my shorter runs during the week. Should I train him on my off days? I'm thinking that's going to wear me out pretty fast and with my propensity for injuries it worries me. Should I just do my shorter runs with him at night and skip going to the gym before hand? If he's got a 3 miler on the schedule and I have 5, should I run at the gym my first 2 & then run 3 with him? Any great ideas out there?? Suggestions welcome!

4 comments:

  1. If by training with him on your days off you mean you mountain biking whilst he runs, the sure. Rest days are rest days, you don't want to over train because you'll risk aggrevating your injuries (ITB PF etc).

    I can understand the want to train with your significant other, but maybe you can train once a week together, when you both have an easy 3 miles on the schedule or something.

    Prob not the answer you wanted, but you don't want to overtrain, esp when you're coming back from injuries. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes complete sense, which is why I'm not planning to run on rest days. That was just an insane idea I had. :( I'm not going to NOT run with him, so I think I'll do his miles with him & then drop him off at home on one loop to finish my miles. That's the best idea I've had. My long runs will have to be alone too, since they're much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ran my first marathon in October. I did a lot of my training alone, and it sucked, especially towards the end on those 15-20 milers. If I were you, I'd plan to run with him, then put in the extra miles you need for your marathon plan after you run with him (or before or a little of both). At the end of my marathon plan, I would often run to someone else's house, pick that person up to run a few with me, then run by myself back home and it was nice to have company for at least an hour of a 3 hour run. Also, on off days I would sometimes bike with my husband while he ran. It was good to keep my legs moving (active recovery) but not actually be running. And make sure you strength train!!! It will do wonders for keeping you healthy and injury-free!! P.S. I'm commenting from my husband's google account because I couldn't sign in with my blog.com link. I'm Eric's better half, Shme. http://loveshme.blog.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Shme! I was thinking that is what I would do to keep him running and be there for his training, plus get my mileage in. I appreciate that you took the time to comment. I was kind of afraid how boring a 4 hour/20 mile run might be.. haha. I'm going to go check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete