Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Working on Form

Today was another planned easy run at 12:09 for four miles. This pace continues for another couple weeks, which is okay by me. I was having plantar fasciitis and big toe pain from my two weekend runs, so after talking to some of you and trying different things, I decided to really try to stick close to this slower pace while working on my form tonight.

I am typically a midfoot to forefoot striker, but with the toe pain I wanted to stay off of it and focus more on a midfoot strike. I also spent a lot of time making sure I was using my core to keep me upright and not lean too far forward or back when I got tired. This seemed to really help! My PF pain didn't increase, my big toe pain was fine, no ITB trouble.. we may be on to something here friends! Despite hating this run and wanting it to be over the whole time I was on the treadmill, I tried to also keep the tension out of my shoulders. I think this was all around a good learning experience. It's wonderful when you can take something positive like this away from an uncomfortable workout. Lori: 1 - Terrible Runs: 0

Off days are going to be spent strengthening my core, so this becomes easier and hopefully a lot of my ailments go away. I corrected my pelvis tilting with yoga, so I really believe stretches and strength training are key. Looking forward to what's to come from now until May! I haven't missed a training run yet, although I may modify this week. I'm in no hurry, since I have 23 weeks to do a 16 week plan... :)

Tonight: 4 miles - 47:55 - Treadmill Run - Felt Like Tired Crap

7 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your "slow" run because 12:09 is fast to me! Before the stress fracture I was in the 12 range at my fastest and I'm still working to get back to that. :-/ Good luck with this training! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Lori! I find focusing on form is key for me too to increase my running efficiency & reduce injury. Core is so important so good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh trust me, I'm not that fast. Doing a 1 mile time trial I was around a 9:50 last time I think. Normally I run around an 11ish mile. I've also learned over time that no one else's time or speed matters. I'm looking for a marathon time under 5hrs, so that's what this plan is for. Do what you can do and that's what is important! I used to compare myself to others, but it only stresses you out. You'll get faster over time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeannie! Everyone's comments & help mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Lori!Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your training plan tells you what pace to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, I can send you some if you want. DM me your email on Twitter ;)

    ReplyDelete