Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Injury Recovery Run

I wanted to try this run last night, but the nasty storm blowing through the Northwest made me rethink my idiocy. (Maybe I should turn in my IRC badge?) Actually, my IT band started to hurt with hard winds on my 9 mile run a couple weeks ago, so that's why I decided against trying to test it out in the wind & cold again. I waited until I could run on the treadmill at the gym tonight. I ran and walked for 3 miles. When my knee would start to hurt, I'd stop and walk... wash, rinse, repeat for a very slow 40 minutes. Still much better than no running!

As I was running and my knee started to hurt, causing me to walk, I started thinking back to when this problem started. See, this leg has never ever hurt in all my running. Never! It's always the other leg, so why now? I figured out it's because I'm now wearing shoes that were suggested at my last gait analysis to fix the problems on my other leg. Did it work? Well sure, no PF pain or any other problems on that side, but at what cost? Honestly, I'm willing to trade back the PF pain for this.

While walking and thinking about this I decided to experiment with something. I kicked off my shoes and ran barefoot for my last quarter mile. I actually felt like this helped. It prevented the pain in my knee from coming back like it had been. Yay for breakthroughs!! I think the next step is probably going to a sports podiatrist. I got one recommended, strangely by the guy who sits next to me at work. I'm guessing I need orthotic(s) more than likely. Since I'm an accountant and busier than I can even describe right now, this is going to need to wait until March. (Yes, I literally cannot leave work early anytime until February is over to go see a doctor. Maybe your job isn't so bad now? :D) In the mean time, I think I'm going to go back to my Brooks Pure Connect instead of the Ravenna 2. Hopefully that helps!

The plan this week is supposed to be speeding up a little, so I don't know where that fits into this. It was supposed to be 4/3/5/10 all at 12:00 miles (up from 12:09). I will try 4 tomorrow or Thursday depending on how my knee feels. Hopefully I can still get the miles in, even if I have to do it a bit more slowly. I really want to run 10 on Saturday or Sunday!

P.S. Paleo didn't last past a few days. I can't bring myself to eat meat a bunch, so I was starving and/or eating tons of fruit and veggies anyway. All I can think of when eating meat is turning my cancer cells on (read The China Study) and the mom & baby cow picture. So sad! Back to my vegan-ish ways today.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you can't get in to see someone. And sorry about the Paleo. How did the carb specific diet work before then? Are there other things you can modify to make it more carb specific without the meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pain to be stuck in the office so much for 2 months. I literally work 9+ hours a day from Jan-March. It's a big thing just to step away at 5 for a run on the treadmill! I'm really glad I figured out the problem. Big step in the right direction. My experience with doctors is you have to lead them down the right path and even sometimes then they don't listen when you know more about your body.

    When I did the SCD diet last year I wasn't as ingrained in the Vegan lifestyle. I also had a major motivation to try what the Naturopath recommended, because EVERYTHING I ate was causing me serious stomach pains and I was seeing him every week or 2. Now I don't have that motivation. It seems the leg rashes I was worried about have been getting better w/my allergy medications, so I can't see trying to eat food I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete