Thursday, January 5, 2012

Well Rounded Runner

Most people know running involves pretty much your whole body. Runners know that we get a lot less injuries when other parts of our bodies are also strong. We need these other muscles to keep good form while increasing our running. I used to strength train quite a bit and do yoga a few times a week, but when I started running more, everything else took a backseat. I have been plagued with foot and leg injuries last fall and now I'm realizing I need to find a way to fit in some lifting and yoga again, along with my running and basic stretches I do. I may never get over the PF, but if I have a strong core, maybe I can prevent other pains and problems.

Tonight was a rest day from running, so I worked out my arms and core. I need to do more direct ab work (I did all of my lifting on the bosu ball), but I didn't have my own yoga mat and I don't like thinking of the germs on the gym mats or floor! I was able to fit in some planks and stability ball crunches. I did quite a bit of lifting, so tomorrow I expect to feel it in my shoulders, arms and hopefully abs.

I'm going to keep strength training at least twice a week hopefully. When school picks back up I may be pretty insanely busy until March. We're also closing the 2011 year at work, which is mostly me doing extra work, and trying to implement new software company wide. School, year-end close, new software and marathon training together all kind of scare me!

2 comments:

  1. You'll find a way Lori. There are a lot more core exercises you can do on the ball besides just crunches. Have you tried doing planks with forearms on the ball. From there, you can make it more difficult by pushing ball forward a little and then pulling back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do planks on the bosu upside down. Last night my arms were already tired (nice & sore today!) so I opted for regular planks. I need a stability ball routine. Maybe I'll stick to doing core work at home where the germs aren't creepy!

    ReplyDelete